Saturday, February 27, 2010

#13 My thriteenthe book was The Thirteenth Tale



The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield was a very fun read. I'm going to warn you right away that there is some strange stuff going on in this book and that I almost turned back about a quarter of the way through, but I stuck it out and really enjoyed the adventure. The story is about a young woman who gets asked to write the biography of a famous author. The famous author has never truthfully told the story of her life and on her deathbed, she is ready to finally leave the truth behind. There are many twists and turns. There are unique characters that you may never meet the likes of again. There is a story that unwinds and unwinds and unwinds until you finally know everything. I promise it will keep you guessing. I definitely recommend this book, but not to your 14 year old daughter. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. We read this for book club and none of us were able to guess the "twist." It was VERY weird, but a fun read. It's long, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where to leave my comment. I just finished reading, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. It was on a list I found of Oprah's. You might like it, it is set in dialogue by the charachters. I had to read the "cliff notes" afterwards to make sure I got it all.MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading, Stones for Schools by the same author as Three Cups of Tea. I enjoyed this book even moe than the first one. I feel like I'm getting to understand that region a little better. I am amazed at his success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I head about Mortenson's new book, but I hadn't heard from anyone who had read it. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading Strength in What Remains
    by Tracy Kidder. The beginning of the book was amazing. This guy arrives in New York City after escaping genocide in some African country. He's black, can't speak English and has to figure out how to survive.

    ReplyDelete