Thursday, August 19, 2010

#19 Eat to Live



I don't know about you, but I am always interested in learning more about healthy eating and how food affects our bodies. It may because my mother would occasionally go through stages of no sugar in the house and I can remember occasionally accompanying her on visits to the herbalist. One thing I am grateful for is that we were too poor to grow up eating anything that came out of a box. I used to lament my homemade bread sandwiches with crumbles or our steady diet of beans and vegetables. We know now that so many of our tastes were formed during our childhood years. I never realized how blessed I was to develop my taste buds in a home with real food and a mother who was willing to cook for our family each day. I'm sure that seemed like tedious, never ending work for her, but it such a tremendous impact on my health today. I am so so grateful.

OK. Back to Eat to Live. I started reading this book because I have something called insulin resistance (everyone is talking about it these days) and I felt like I had to eat a high protein, low carb diet to deal with the symptoms of this disorder. I have been frustrated by that because it goes against the code of health I believe in called the Word of Wisdom. I have read and searched and prayed and thought about what to do. Then a friend with the same health condition recommended this book. The authors basic premise is that we need to eat more not less, but we need to eat more things with a high nutrient density. That means food that are filled with good stuff and have less calories. Which foods are the stars of this plan? You guessed it green vegetables. Which foods are the supporting cast? Fruit, beans, and other vegetables. Which foods should be occasional guests of the show? Meat and Sweets.
Here's a question for you. Which has more protein 100 calories of steak or 100 calories of broccoli? I know you aren't going to believe it, but it's the broccoli. And in addition to protein, the broccoli has all sorts of vitamins, minerals and cancer fighting, body healing amazing things.

So, if you are interested in learning more, I think you will like this book. It is called Eat to Live by Joel Furhman.

3 comments:

  1. OK, but how much steak is 100 calories worth and how much broccoli? Is it one sliver of steak and six pounds of broccoli?

    More importantly, how many tons of chocolate do I need to eat to get that same amount of protein? Because I'm up for it, I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,

    I am a friend of Camille's and I found your blog from her blog. I love to read and so enjoyed skimming through your book reviews. We've read several of the same books. This year I read one of the sweetest books ever....Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. Even though he was a science fiction writer this book is not science fiction. It is semi-autobiographical of his childhood. The only thing is - I think it should be read during the summer. So maybe next year when your basking in the warm Utah sun you will want to try it.

    PS - this is the first comment I've ever left on a strangers blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly Jae

    So glad you stopped by. You have reminded me that I need to post again on my blog. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete