Thursday, August 19, 2010

#18 Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet



Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford is a good read. I am not going to say it was a page turner, but instead it sort of moved quietly along, keeping me engaged in it's tale of young love and a human need to sort people by race and color. I feel like I am going to love the story more in days and weeks to come than I do now, like it needs to ripen a bit. Or maybe it will be somewhat forgetable. I am not sure yet. The thing I appreciated about the story is that it made me aware of internment of the Japanese during World War II. It is hard to believe that 50 years ago we were shipping people off on buses to live in work camps with barbed wire fences and armed guards. It is so difficult to relate to an era of time that has passed, even when it has passed so recently, when it seems so foreign to the time and place I live in now. I wonder what things my children will find hard to believe when I tell them about my experience with America as a child.
I would definitely recommend this book. It is a well-written, sweet story that you will enjoy, just don't feel surprised when you find it's ok to put it down and come back to it in the morning. It's just that kind of book.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book, but yeah, it took me a while to get into it. A fun read, though.

    ReplyDelete