Monday, June 7, 2010

#16 Olive Kitteridge- Is true love really so hard to hang on to?



Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2009. I have learned that when book has a sticker on it that says something amazing that it won an award for, my expectations that it will be a great book increase exponentially and I am often disappointed. I feel this way about Olive Kitteridge. It is a great book that is designed to weave the story of one woman's life through the tangled history of many small town experiences. I liked Olive and I liked the way she showed up in the various vignettes. The thing I didn't like about the book is a continual theme of lack of fulfillment in marriage. I promise I am not living in a dream world and I understand that there are moments in marriages that lack the magic that was found in the beginning of the relationship, but I guess I want to hang on to my romantic notions that people really fall in love and stay in love. I struggled with Strout's perception that all marriages, even happy ones, often have some amount of unfaithfullmess. Regardless, I did love all the interesting characters she created and developed and I felt like I had taken a walk through this little town in Maine by the time I was finished. I am not adding this one to my list of favorites, but I still think it is a well-written, enjoyable set of stories that kept me interested throughout.

1 comment: