Monday, June 21, 2010

#17- 1776 It's All New to Me and It's a Little Embarassing



David McCullough's 1776 has been sitting on my shelf for a while, but I didn't feel inspired to read it until my recent trip to our nation's capitol. It has turned out to be the perfect time to pick it up because I feel like I am living the days with George Washington as he leads his troops ahead to the first Independence Day. I feel like the 4th of July will be filled with more meaning or at least more details than I have experienced in the past. I have been lucky enough to have been in many places in the world, but I am truly in love with America. I am in love with the people who were crazy enough to think they could fight the most powerful army in the world at the time and win. I am in love with their believing, adventurous, brave hearts. It makes me think about the House of Joseph and how they fulfilled their heavenly mission. Although they were so rough and tumble it would have been difficult to see them as the House of Joseph at the time they were fighting.

Washington just chased the British out of Boston and on up to New York. I can't wait to see what happens next. And yes, it's a little bit embarrassing that I don't already know.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about embarrassing...it has been so long, that I can't remember the last book I read! I haven't visited your blog in some time & scrolling along I recognized one book that I actually had read several years ago - The Red Tent. I loved the book! It was given to me by a History teacher that I worked with. I walked away from that book with such an appreciation of all the women before me & time period in which I live! It has been several years, but I can remember how much I enjoyed the characters. Your next read looks like a good one! Perhaps I'll venture out to the library & check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne

    I'm glad you liked the Red Tent. It was a very engaging read. Yes, you should join me on Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. The book club from church read this one and really like it!

    ReplyDelete