Friday, July 30, 2010

#17- 1776 And Kings Shall Be Your Nursing Fathers



I loved reading this book. Yes, it is a war story and yes, I got a little bogged down in the middle, but it is our war story which makes it so much more interesting. I loved that I read this book in July and that when I saw flags and soldiers and fireworks I remembered the story of the beginning. I love that I have been studying the House of Israel while I read this book. I could not stop thinking about the promises God had made to them and how he was fulfilling his promises through them. Did George Washington know he was part of the story that Isaiah was telling. Did he know he was changing the world forever? Did he know that all the world would look at the example of that rag tag army and plan governments designed after what happened here? Did he know that his battle for freedom would open the door for the gospel of Jesus Christ to be restored. I'm guessing he didn't know all of that, but I bet he felt something. As the fog rolled in to keep his army hidden or the storm ragged to allow him to surprise the enemy, I think he must have felt something. I am so happy I picked up this book and read it. It makes it even more amazing to see the red, white, and blue wave. It helps me to remember that God keeps his promises.

I think I might tackle David McCullough's John Adams one of these days.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading this in July too, but I can't get past the bogged down in the middle part. I feel the same way as you do though, it's *our* war story so I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Camille. The ending is really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete