Wednesday, October 21, 2009

#3 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



Dear Bloggers

I decided this final post should be in letter format to align with the theme of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I hope you all have picked up this book and have fallen in love with the jumble of characters living in Guernsey. I have to say I enjoyed the simple story line, with hints toward the serious topic of World War II. I was curious to see if the author could really tell the whole story through letters. I assumed the idea would break down eventually, but she (they) proved me wrong. Every detail was included by carefully selecting who was writing the letter and to whom they wrote. Very clever idea! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And this book made me think I need to take a real trip so I can write letters about my adventures. Or, just have a new adventure. Happy Reading!

Heidi

3 comments:

  1. I FINALLY sat down to finish this book tonight. I LOVE IT! There's so much I want to say, but I would definitely be breaking the spoiler rule.

    However, I will say that I love that the main author was an elderly woman who passed away just last year and this was her first novel.

    I don't love that she passed away, but I love that she finished her book before the end of her life. What a great accomplishment.

    Great choice Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally got a copy at the library. It was on hold. I'm enjoying the book, it has heightened my interest in reading other books mentioned in the correspondence. It was great to learn how the society got it's name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the book. I loved the ending, but it left me wanting more letters and stories. If its true the author died, then I guess that's it.

    ReplyDelete