Sunday, November 8, 2009

#5 The Art of Simple Food


So, I got a little behind on my posts this week. Sorry about that. The next section of The Art of Simple Food covers sauces and vinaigrette. Although, I haven't tried making it yet, I learned that aioli is a fancy word for mayonnaise. I did make the simple vinaigrette which is so easy to whip up and delicious on everything (I ate it on tacos). Here's how it goes...start with 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, add salt and pepper, whisk in 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. That's it. You can add fresh garlic if you want, but then it will need to be eaten quickly or refrigerated. It tastes delicious on salads with fruit or vegetables.

The next section is about salads, which you make think is odd because who needs to learn to make a salad, but I loved the info she shared. First of all she encouraged you to salt each of the vegetables you will add to the salad before you add them to the greens so that their flavors come out in the salad. Also, you should dress the greens with dressing (she suggests you toss them with your hands) and then add the other items to the top of the greens and add more dressing on the top. Do not toss again or all your additions go to the bottom. It is amazing how much better a salad tastes that is prepared this way.

I am going to skip the next section which is about bread because I am not much of a bread eater. In my next post I will fill you in on the wonders of making fresh chicken broth. Yummy! I know you can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment