Sunday, November 1, 2009

#5 The Art of Simple Food


A note before I start my commentary on this book. This is not a cookbook; it is a cooking book. Although you will find recipes in the book, the book if filled with instruction about how to cook. I told my roommate yesterday that I feel like as I read the book, I am actually taking a class. I have been applying the things I am learning, and enjoying some delicious meals. This makes me even more excited about the book. I hope some of you are able to locate a copy, so that we can learn together.

The first two sections of the book teach you about the ingredients and tools you should keep on hand. Most of the food items were not a surprise and were things I already like to use. I did feel envious of people who have windows were they can grow fresh herbs all year (I live in a basement apartment). One ingredient that surprised me was canned anchovies. I have never cooked with anchovies and would not consider them a staple for my kitchen, but maybe I will have to try them.

One thing I appreciated from this section is the information on eating what is in season. I am beginning to understand the rhythm of what you find fresh in the grocery store during various seasons, but I am definitely still learning. It is difficult to know what is in season, because we can get strawberries from South America in early fall, but does that mean they are actually nice and yummy? I am trying to pay attention to what actually looks delicious and fresh. Right now it seems like apples and squash are the thing to eat.

She also gives some good information on pans. She likes cast iron and earthenware pots and pans because they are thick and distribute the heat well. She also teaches about various cutting techniques, which was new to me. This is good info, but I am still too impatient to cut up anything fine. A rough chop is always quick and easy.

This was a good place to start. Next post I will comment on sauces and salad dressings.

No comments:

Post a Comment